Learn correct form, connect one-on-one with your trainer, and be pushed to your fullest potential. All of our trainers are certified, very knowledgeable, and will help you understand the importance of each exercise. Using various training techniques, they will help you push past your perceived physical limits, while helping you meet your specific goals.
To schedule a personal training appointment contact the Westside YMCA at 827-9670.
Learn more about our Personal Training staff below:
• CPT, AFAA Certified, Michigan Diabetes Prevention Instructor
• Success for me is watching others achieve their goals
• Has worked in the wellness field for 15 years
• Currently teaches Fit and Fabulous, Muscle FIT, Spinning, and is the Jumpstart Coordinator at Westside YMCA
• “80% of success is just getting started and I am here to help you go for it.”
I have been in the Wellness field for over 15 years. Working for Weight Watchers as a Corporate Trainer and Leader. Proper nutrition and exercise together are the key to being healthy and fit. So I always exercised and worked out: I have a true passion for fitness, total health and helping others achieve their FIT goals. After leaving Weight Watchers I had the great opportunity to become a part of the Y Family and obtain my AFAA CERTIFICATION and continue helping people become fit not only through nutrition but exercise training and mentoring.
• Certified in Adult CPR/AED by the American Red Cross
• He has been a member of the Lansing YMCA for the better part of the last ten years
• Ron is the proud father of two boys, Ron II (28yrs) and Aaron (21yrs)
• Cross Fitness Instructor
• “Strengthen bodies and minds that help develop a stronger healthier outlook on life”
Ron has been an avid fitness enthusiast since the early 1980’s. That’s when he discovered, that four years of sitting on the couch and eating, with no exercise mixed in, added up to 40 extra pounds and no muscle tone! Ron looks forward to the opportunity of working with YMCA members, as a Personal Fitness Trainer, to strengthen their bodies and minds and thus helping them develop a stronger and healthier outlook on life.
• Registered Dietitian
• MSU & Virginia State Graduate
• Completed 5 full marathons
I started my athletic career at a very young age and have been passionate about physical activity and healthy eating ever since. I started gymnastics at the age of 5 and continued my gymnastics career into college, where I was a member of Michigan State University Women’s Gymnastics Team in 2004-2005. An unfortunate injury forced me to quit the sport that I love; however, I was fortunate enough to be recruited by the diving coach at Michigan State. I finished out my career as a collegiate athlete as a member of the MSU Women’s Diving Team from 2006-2008. I graduated from Michigan State University in 2008 with a Bachelors of Science with a major in Dietetics. I continued on with my degree to Virginia State University where I graduated from my Dietetic Internship in 2009. I then passed my board exam to become a registered dietitian and worked at a health care center in Greensboro, North Carolina for three years. During my time in North Carolina I also worked at the local YMCA as their registered dietitian, and loved every minute of it. I have since moved back to Michigan and am now a full time RD at a community nutrition setting. I have also obtained my Certified Fitness Trainer accreditation and am enjoying working with individual clients to reach their exercise and nutrition goals. I am a very avid runner and have completed five full marathons and am currently training for triathlons. I am very passionate about living a healthy lifestyle through sound nutrition and physical activity, and am ready to help any YMCA member reach their fitness goals.
• CPT, AFAA Certified
• Graduate of Michigan State University
• United States Marine Corps 4 years
• Mountain bike and kayak enthusiast
• “We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing!” G.B. Shaw
After retiring from the State of Michigan I was originally hired to work with Active Older Adult classes. Began teaching additional classes and obtaining various certifications. I have been lifting weights since I was 16 years old. Therefore, it was a natural progression to become a personal trainer.
• Personal Trainer ACE Certified
• Teaches Turning Point classes for breast cancer survivors
• Certified in Enhance Fitness & Silver Sneakers
• Has participated in many 5K’s and a Half Marathon
• “To be upset over the body you don’t have is to waste the body you do have….be the best that YOU can be.” – Cory Everson
After being diagnosed with breast cancer twice in five years, I’ve realized how much working out has been so therapeutic for me. It’s so important to lead a healthy, fit life so you can get through anything that life hands to you. I’ve taught fitness classes for the last 14 years but became a Personal Trainer so I could better help people to achieve their own personal goals so they can live a long and healthy life.
• Certified in Group Cycle and Group Exercise
• Has been a YMCA team member since 2010
• Has a passion for running, triathlons, and weight training
• “A positive mind, positive energy, and persistence conquer all things.”
I started working out in my late 20’s after I had my second child and was very overweight. I joined the YMCA and fell in love with the community and friendliness of the staff and members. So much so, the staff and members became a second family. It was so comforting to be at the Westside YMCA throughout my weight loss process. I started working at the Y in childcare working in tot-watch in the evenings and working out in the mornings. I found myself always there and interacting with the members and working together to achieve our fitness and wellness goals. This interaction with members is what led me to start a career in personal trainer. I love spending my time at the Y with my family and friends. Living a healthy and active lifestyle is something that I’ve truly fallen in love with.
- Personal Trainer NETA Certified
- Graduate of MSU
- Teaches Y-Barre, Aerobics, Core, Get Ripped
Patty is a life long dancer and has been involved in fitness and movement for most of her life. However, it wasn’t until after she had children that she realized the importance of having a structured exercise schedule, clear fitness goal, and a well-rounded nutrition plan. As a fitness instructor at the Y, our amazing members often come to me with their stories of increased strength, decreased pain, and overall improved health. It is so motivating to see how improving physical health can enhance the quality of life for so many people. Patty’s mission as a personal trainer is to help our members reach their fitness goals through exercise and balanced nutrition.
- CPT NCCPT Certified
- Ironman Tri Athlete
- Military Veteran
- Over 12 years at local YMCA
- “Pause my Garmin please”
I became a personal trainer about 10 years ago; I did this because I love to help people reach goals. After teaching classes for over 2 year I realized I could not only help people in classes but also help them individually. After being gone six years I moved back to Michigan and was a stay at home mom looking for something to do during the day so I looked to the Y. I started just volunteering in kid’s gym with my daughter for about six months. There was then an opening to be an instructor I took advantage of that opportunity and they worked me into the team. I have been at the YMCA ever since.
- Graduated from Grand Valley with a degree in Clinical Exercise Science
- Certified Exercise Physiologist (ACSM) and Fitness Nutrition Specialist (NASM)
- Enjoys teaching classes, running and rock climbing!
- “You have always been beautiful. Now you are deciding to become healthier, fitter, faster, and stronger. Remember that.”
I became a personal trainer three years ago so I could help people develop a healthy lifestyle and a passion for fitness and nutrition. As a member of the Grand Valley Track and Field team as a pole vaulter I developed my own passion for fitness. I graduated with a degree in Clinical Exercise Science and became certified as an Exercise Physiologist and a Fitness Nutrition Specialist. I enjoy teaching classes, running and rock climbing in my free time. I am joining the Westside Family from the Wolverine Worldwide YMCA in Grand Rapids. When I moved to Lansing I knew I wanted to continue working with the Y in order to serve my new community.
- Worked at the Y since 2009
- Certified cycling instructor
- Certified personal trainer
- “Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.”
Lisa is passionate about fitness, exercise, health and helping others. As a trainer at the YMCA she puts all those passions together. After a knee replacement, shoulder surgery, and other injuries she has continued to bike, ski (both snow and water), exercise and maintain her own fitness. She believes people of all ages need to keep their bodies moving.
- Currently pursing a degree from Northwood University for Business Management
- ACE certified personal trainer
- Previously played two years of baseball at Lansing Community College where he designed the strength and conditioning program for the team.
- “Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how to respond to it.” -Lou Holtz
Tom became an ACE Certified Personal Trainer so he could help others achieve their fitness goals and develop a healthy lifestyle. Tom gained his passion for fitness when he was a junior in high school when he started reading articles online about different workouts, exercises, and diets. He started at the YMCA before his freshman year in college where he worked as a Fitness Attendant in the adult and youth fitness centers.
- ACE Certified Personal Trainer
- Aerial Arts Certified Instructor
- Over 10 years of group fitness instruction
- “A comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.”
Candess is very interested and motivated in the Kinesiology program and taught group fitness for years .I began teaching group fitness again in 2014 and joined the Y as a way to continue to challenge myself. After working with some of the other great YMCA trainers, I was inspired to complete my personal training certification. Helping others to reach their full potential and challenge themselves to accomplish their goals is extremely satisfying for me as a trainer. I hope to inspire and challenge you in your health & fitness goals.